A Safety management system (SMS) is a term used to refer to a comprehensive business management system designed to manage safety elements in the workplace.
The importance of managing occupational health and safety is recognized by all interested parties: employers, employees, customers, suppliers, insurers, shareholders, contractors, regulatory agencies and the wider community.
Employers today confront bigger challenges than ever before, not least in the field of occupational health and safety where they face:
- – More rigorous health and safety regulations
- – Greater penalties for negligence
- – Rising compensation costs
- – Costly medical claims
- – Increasing rates of illness and injury
- – Pressure to retain workers and ensure employee satisfaction.
Instead of reacting to work-related incidents a SMS will help employers adopt a preventative and proactive approach which involves identifying workplace hazards and assessing and controlling risk.
The benefits of a SMS include:
- – A reduction in lost working days
- – Fewer workplace accidents
- – Fewer medical claims
- – Recognition by insurers and regulators
- – A more disciplined approach to safety
- – Improved employee motivation, retention and satisfaction
- – Reduced legal costs
- – Less time and money spent on accident-related investigation and paperwork.
ISO 45001, Occupational health and safety management systems – Requirements with guidance for use, is the world’s first International Standard for occupational health and safety (OH&S). It provides a framework to increase safety, reduce workplace risks and enhance health and well-being at work, enabling an organization to proactively improve its OH&S performance.
The requirements specified in ISO 45001,1 are intended for incorporation into any OH&S management system. The Standard is relevant to all employers, whatever the size or nature of the business.
Trade Safety Ltd can help you implement a SMS suitable and relevant to your organisation.
On successful implementation of your SMS your organisation can be accredited to the OHSAS 18001 standard.