SAFETY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
A Safety management system (SMS) is a term used to refer to a comprehensive business management system designed to manage safety elements in the workplace.
The importance of managing occupational health and safety is recognized by all interested parties: employers, employees, customers, suppliers, insurers, shareholders, contractors, regulatory agencies and the wider community.
Employers today confront bigger challenges than ever before, not least in the field of occupational health and safety where they face:
- More rigorous health and safety regulations
- Greater penalties for negligence
- Rising compensation costs
- Costly medical claims
- Increasing rates of illness and injury
- – Pressure to retain workers and ensure employee satisfaction.
Instead of reacting to work-related incidents a SMS will help employers adopt a preventative and proactive approach which involves identifying workplace hazards and assessing and controlling risk.
If you have any questions about our Safety Management System services please get in touch
The benefits of a SMS include:
- A reduction in lost working days
- Fewer workplace accidents
- Fewer medical claims
- Recognition by insurers and regulators
- A more disciplined approach to safety
- Improved employee motivation, retention and satisfaction
- Reduced legal costs
- Less time and money spent on accident-related investigation and paperwork.
ISO 45001, Occupational health and safety management systems – Requirements with guidance for use, is the world’s first International Standard for occupational health and safety (OH&S). It provides a framework to increase safety, reduce workplace risks and enhance health and well-being at work, enabling an organization to proactively improve its OH&S performance.
The requirements specified in ISO 45001,1 are intended for incorporation into any OH&S management system. The Standard is relevant to all employers, whatever the size or nature of the business.
Trade Safety Ltd can help you implement a SMS suitable and relevant to your organisation.
On successful implementation of your SMS your organisation can be accredited to the OHSAS 18001 standard.
Call us Now for a quotation, or to get more information about our Safety Management System services